Bishop Peter F. Crinnon
1874 - 1882
Bishop Peter F. Crinnon was the second Bishop for the Diocese of Hamilton. He was born in County Louth, Ireland in 1818 and moved to Canada in 1850. He served in the London, Ontario area for several years including sixteen years as pastor in Stratford. It was in Stratford's St. Joseph's Church that he was consecrated Bishop, on 19 April 1874. During his tenure Bishop Crinnon created eight new parishes and saw to the construction of fourteen new churches; six of which replaced older structures that were no longer suitable. Several separate schools were erected and St. Jerome's College in Waterloo was enlarged. Bishop Crinnon also sought to recruit much needed new priests to help attend to the extensive diocesan territory. He returned to Ireland and persuaded approximately twenty young clerical students to immigrate to Canada to continue their training. Many of these young men were eventually ordained to the service of the diocese. Bishop Crinnon was often ill during his time as Bishop for the Diocese of Hamilton. In November of 1882 he left on vacation to Florida in hopes of restoring his health. He died in Jacksonville on November 25th. His body was returned to Hamilton where it lies beside his predecessor in the vault beneath St Mary's Church.