Bishop James Carbery, O.P.
1884 - 1887
Bishop James Carbery, O.P. was the third Bishop for the Diocese of Hamilton. He was born in Mullingar, Ireland on 30 April 1823. He entered the Order of Preachers, the Dominicans and was ordained in 1846. In 1880, the General of his Order summoned him to Rome to become a member of the governing Council of the Dominicans. On 4 September 1883 he was appointed to the vacant See of Hamilton. Archbishop Lynch of Toronto installed him as chief pastor of the Diocese of Hamilton on 3 April 1884. Bishop Carbery was a methodical man and maintained detailed records of his activities. He appointed a diocesan archivist and also encouraged every parish to keep archives of its own activities. In September 1885 Bishop Carbery brought together the clergy of the diocese for two days. The diocesan clergy met in St. Mary's Cathedral to discuss pastoral matters. This was the first and only Diocesan Synod of Priests. It was followed by a number of theological conferences, centred on topics such as the administration of the Sacrament of Penance and Church rules concerning marriage. Bishop Carbery sought through these meetings to ensure the efficient functioning of the diocese. During Bishop Carbery's tenure new churches were opened in New Hamburg, Oustic, North Brant, Southampton, and Formosa. He also introduced the league of the Sacred. In 1887, due to poor health, Bishop Carbery left for home to recuperate. On December 9th of that year he died in the Dominican monastery at Cork.