St. Mary of the Visitation, a Roman Catholic parish in Cambridge (Hespeler), Ontario, is looking for an experienced keyboard musician and vocal conductor to fill the part time (10-15 hours/week) role of an overall Music Director including choir leadership, keyboard accompaniment, and coordination of two guitar ensembles. The Roman Catholic Diocese of Hamilton, established in 1856, is the second largest diocese in English speaking Canada and serves the needs of more than 626,000 Roman Catholics, throughout Southwestern Ontario. The Music Director will work closely with the parish priest, staff, and volunteer singers and musicians to plan and lead liturgies for various programs.
- Plan liturgical music, plus lead, conduct and accompany singers and musicians for regular church services (4 Masses each weekend during the year, 3 Masses each weekend in the Summer), plus major feasts of Christmas Season and Holy Week
- Plan liturgical music, plus lead, conduct and accompany singers and musicians for Confirmations, First Communions, Weddings and Funerals etc., and perhaps for less-regular occasions (eg. World Day of Prayer)
- Attend Diocesan and Ontario Liturgical Workshops to strengthen liturgical skills.
- Organize regular rehearsals for singers and musicians to improve performance skills, and establish repertoire for use in upcoming liturgies
- Implement and coordinate material from the upcoming “Music for Catholic Worship” Book into the regular liturgies and special parish events
- Encourage new members to join as singers and/or musicians.
- Foster an atmosphere of productive, yet relaxed, cheerful learning and creativity, sensitive to the needs of each individual while being supportive of the whole music team.
- Experienced keyboard musician (organ and/or piano / guitar skills an asset) preferably with a BA in music or similar training, and with liturgical knowledge and experience.
- Interest in a wide range of music styles and expressions (4 Part Harmony, Plain Chant, Taize, Classical, Traditional, Folk, Gospel, and Contemporary Sacred compositions)
- Possess a working knowledge of music ministry in the Catholic Liturgical tradition.
- Ability to work well, collaborate and negotiate effectively, yet sensitively with others: singers, musicians, staff, and pastor of parish.
Please forward your resume and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Music Director – St Mary of the Visitation, Cambridge, ON” in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance for their interest in this position. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.