Refugee Sponsorship Case Manager
One-Year Contract (with the possibility of extension)
The Diocese of Hamilton is looking for an impassioned social justice and human rights advocate to join our Office for Refugees at the Diocese.
If you have a background in serving refugees domestically or abroad, have 3 to 5 years of related experience and are intrinsically motivated to serve the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, transparency and fairness through refugee resettlement programming, then the Refugee Sponsorship Case Manager vacancy may be a great fit for you.
The Refugee Sponsorship Case Manager will report to the Director, Office for Refugees, and will manage the Diocese of Hamilton’s refugee sponsorship caseload in accordance with our Sponsorship Agreement Holder (SAH) contract with Canada’s federal immigration department. The focus of the role is to work with a diverse community of sponsors, government partners and supporting organizations to facilitate the preparation of complete sponsorship applications for submission to the government, and to follow-up and advocate to ensure the successful processing of overseas applications resulting in the safe arrival of resettled refugees to Canada.
- Coordinate program implementation to ensure the Office for Refugees meets its annual target for application submissions to government.
- Lead sponsor groups/individuals and refugees in the preparation of all refugee and sponsor requirements as necessary for a complete application, including One Year Window (OYW) applications.
- Manage the Diocese of Hamilton’s refugee sponsorship caseload while applications are pending overseas.
- Provide advice/information and design resources, tools and trainings to ensure the successful processing of applications overseas and manage expectations for all stakeholders.
- Monitor, identify, evaluate and take action to address concerns or new information (either in Canada or overseas) that could undermine sponsorship success and/or lead to a potential break-down in a sponsorship, while applications are pending overseas.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience (in Canada or overseas) in at least one of the five following areas: refugee protection/advocacy (preferred), immigration law, social justice/human rights, social work or international development
- Demonstrated experience (in Canada or overseas) in direct program delivery and/or case management with trauma survivors and other vulnerable populations, preferably refugees
- Applied working knowledge of Canadian refugee law, policy and programming and a strong understanding of the refugee resettlement work of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Willing and able to respect and support the mission, vision and values of the Diocese of Hamilton
- Knowledge and ability to apply an anti-racist/anti-oppression framework and trauma-informed approach to decision-making and service delivery
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Public speaking skills, including the ability to facilitate community education and training sessions, host meetings, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a strong ability to develop relationships with diverse partners in a cross-cultural context (i.e., refugees, government officials, church groups, community representatives and international partners)
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and meet deadlines under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and effectively manage stress in a highly complex, sensitive and fluid environment
- Analytical thinking and active listening skills
- Innovative thinker and demonstrated ability to think creatively to improve efficiencies and streamline processes
- Advanced computer literacy skills, especially using Microsoft Office applications (Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
- Lived experience as a refugee
- Experience living, working, studying or volunteering outside of North America
- Experience preparing immigration and/or refugee sponsorship applications for submission to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (SAH experience a strong advantage)
- Experience working with and/or managing volunteers
- Experience working and/or liaising with UNHCR, IOM or a Canadian Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP) Service Provider Organization (SPO)
WORK CONDITIONS AND BENEFITS:
- Hiring salary: $60K - $65K
- Must be eligible to work in Canada
- This is an office-based position located in Hamilton, Ontario
- Full-time hours constitute 32 working hours per week
- Ability to work occasional evenings or weekends (as required)
- Primarily a desk job with extended periods of sitting and working at a computer
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is preferred
- Some travel in Canada may be required
If you are interested in this position, please apply with your Resume and Cover Letter via https://hamiltondiocese.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=110 by Friday, June 3, 2022. We will be prioritizing candidates who clearly demonstrate in a cover letter how they meet the above qualifications and asset criteria.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.