Under the ownership of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Hamilton and staffed with 3 members of the Congregation of the Resurrection, St. Mary's Parish is one of the oldest and largest faith communities in Waterloo Region. Nestled in the centre of the city it is known as a peaceful place to pray and get to know some of the very diverse parishioners and neighbours who help make downtown Kitchener vibrant. In the last year a major emphasis has been placed on community building and reaching out to those most in need.
St. Mary’s Parish in Waterloo is currently looking for a full-time Outreach Coordinator. The Outreach Coordinator is responsible for supporting and providing programs for parishioners, and for working with volunteers and partner organizations who support our mission and commitment to Catholic social justice.
Reporting to the Parish Priest, the Outreach Coordinator’s job involves organizing and running ongoing programs and events, training, coordinating and supervising volunteers, interacting and building rapport with parishioners, managing social media, leading fund-raising initiatives and delivering presentations.
The position requires regular daytime hours and flexible scheduling to include weekends and evenings.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Engage with parishioners in ways that foster a spirit of welcome, hospitality and community building.
- Recruit, train and oversee the work of volunteers for outreach projects.
- Create new opportunities as well as maintain current outreach projects such as St. Mary’s socials, community meals, and community garden programs.
- Ensure that all programs are well resourced.
- Foster partnerships with local organizations who share in our mission to serve the poor and disadvantaged. These would include other not-for-profit and service organizations, communities of faith and the Waterloo Catholic District School Board.
- Create new and use existing modes of communication including social media and print to ensure projects are well advertised.
- Infuse prayer into activities where possible.
- Observe confidentiality with private matter of those who are being served.
- Act as an Ambassador by sharing the history and mission of St. Mary’s and the outreach program.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- College/University Bachelor's degree, diploma, or certificate with 3 - 5 years of experience, or equivalent.
- Familiar with Catholic liturgies and social justice teaching.
- Proven ability to build and support volunteer leaders and work as a member of a team.
- Understanding of issues relevant to the marginalized in our society.
- Demonstrated experience in grant-writing and small-scale fundraising projects.
- Servant Heart with compassion towards the marginalized and vulnerable.
- Demonstrated experience with building and maintaining community partnerships.
- Comfortable praying with and for others.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Relationship building - especially with the marginalized.
- Organizations skills and the ability to prioritize to meet deadlines.
- Strong social media skills.
- Skills needed for working with others in a kitchen and community garden setting.
- Ability to manage a physically demanding job
- Proven ability to empower those living on the margins.
If you are interested in applying for the position please send your application to Fr. Toby Collins at email@example.com or send it by regular mail to: St Mary's Parish, 56 Duke St W, Kitchener, ON N2H 3W7.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.