Canadian Martyrs Roman Catholic Church - Music Director
- • Serve as Director of Music and Choir Conductor at Canadian Martyrs Parish (Hamilton, Ontario) for the Saturday evening 5:00 pm, Sunday morning 10:00 am and Sunday 12:00 noon Masses (Sunday 12:00 noon Mass September – April only), including Christmas and Holy Triduum celebrations.
- • Plan, select and implement liturgically appropriate music.
- • Weekly rehearsal of choirs.
- • Work with parish choristers and musicians to ensure a high level of performance and proficiency with regards to music in the Liturgy.
- • Actively coordinate the recruitment of new members to the Canadian Martyrs’ Choirs.
- • Serve as primary contact and provide parish music policy guidelines for those seeking music for weddings, funerals, parish reconciliation services and other liturgies.
- • Assist in the development of a music program that focuses on the full, active and conscious participation of the congregation in the liturgy.
- • Remain current in regards to new developments in music and liturgical settings so as to serve as a resource to the pastor and choir.
- • Monitor copyright restrictions and ensure appropriate licensing is maintained.
- • Other duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience:
- • Minimum Bachelor of Music degree (completed or in progress) or professional study in applied music.
- • Minimum two years of experience in choral conducting; able to draw upon the treasured Catholic heritage of sacred music (both traditional and contemporary).
- • Proficiency in piano and/or organ playing and knowledge of the use of instruments used with choirs.
- • Strong interpersonal skills, including interaction with parishioners, clergy, parish staff, and other musicians and choristers, and the ability to empower people to sing.
- • Knowledge about Roman Catholic liturgy.
- • Organizational skills, including: music planning; coordinate music library maintenance; communication with choir members.
- • Must be able to obtain a Police Security Check.
- • Must be able to provide references upon request.
A three-month probationary period applies to all new employees.
We offer a competitive wage package with benefit coverage available through the Diocese. Successful candidates will be required to work ten (10) hours per week.