Campus and Facilities Custodian
St. John Paul Student Centre and St. Michael Parish is looking for a full time (35 hours a week) Campus And Facilities Custodian at our office located in Waterloo, Ontario. As a parish and chaplaincy of the Diocese of Hamilton, we strive to educate, serve and support the Catholic community in North Waterloo and especially our Post-Secondary Community.
Reporting to the Parish Priest, this position is scheduled for a five-day work week from Monday to Friday, with flexibility to work outside the regular shift from time to time and the need for some weekend and seasonal work at Easter and Christmas as well as being ‘on call’ for emergencies.
We offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefit package, on the job training and a great work environment.
- Providing cleaning and maintenance services to our church, offices, student centre and rectory buildings in accordance with a cleaning schedule sensitive to the needs of the church.
- Cleaning and light maintenance at the Church, Rectory and Student Centre buildings.
- Regular inspection of church and property to check for repair issues and safety hazards, ensure the upkeep and safe operation of the elevator, alarm, fire safety and HVAC systems.
- Respond to emergency calls and maintenance requests as required.
- Open and shut the church for weekday Mass and other events and activities.
- Undertake occasional custodial and janitorial tasks such as emergency clean-ups, lifting heavy items, moving chairs, rearranging supplies and furniture, etc.
- Dispose of garbage, recycling and compost from church, office, student centre and rectory, and place it in appropriate garbage bins outside.
- Shovel snow, remove ice, and salt the walkways in the winter to ensure safe accessibility to facilities (what is not contracted out).
- Check that the church and parish centre are kept clean, including the kitchen and appliances.
- Wash and sanitize washrooms, including sinks and toilets, as necessary.
- Restock all disposables (e.g. soap, toilet paper, paper towel, etc.).
- Set up and arrange Parish Centre and meeting rooms for events as requested by the Pastor.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Experience in a custodial or maintenance position, ideally in an institutional setting.
- Must be in good physical condition and strength, as this position requires walking, standing and bending for extended periods of time, and lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Able to work cooperatively with clergy, staff, volunteers of the church, related organizations and external contractors.
- Able to communicate effectively with contractors and services regarding operations, procedures and emergencies.
- A valid Ontario G Driver’s License in good standing, Fluency in English and a clear Police Clearance Record are required.
This opportunity allows the right candidate to fulfill their passion for working in a faith based environment while having a meaningful impact on the many families and young people we serve.
If this sounds like you, please forward your resume and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include: “Campus and Facilities Custodian, Waterloo, ON” in the subject line.
We would like to thank all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.